Some of the first settlers around this area were Italian-Albanians, Irish, German, English, and Welsh. While the area was originally called Rocky Hill, it would soon adopt the name of West Manayunk after the construction of the Reading Railroad in 1838. In the 1950's the name was changed to Belmont Hills, which translate to "Beautiful Mountain Hills".
Belmont Hills has always been connected to Manayunk via the Green Lane Bridge, even after its history of demolition and reconstruction. Several residents lived here while working at the mills along the river in Manayunk, throughout the 1900's. In the late 1900's, interstate 76 was built along the river on the west side of the Schuylkill river. Today, it's a quick trip into the city.
Today, Belmont Hills is still a thriving community full of multiple generations. Families living. Many current families have been here for 5 or more generations. Several members of these longstanding families are volunteer firemen at the Belmont Hills Fire Company. The community has also seen an influx of young families, thanks to the outstanding school district.